The monument at Antietam to the 125th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment is on Confederate Avenue west of the Dunker Church. (Visitor Center-Dunker Church tour map; 39°28’30.9″N 77°44’53.3″W; map location) It was dedicated on September 17, 1904. A sign 20 feet east of the monument adds to the story of the regiment.

The 125th Pennsylvania was commanded at Antietam by Colonel Jacob Higgins. It had been in service for less than a month.

monument to the 125th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment at Antietam

From the monument:

Color Sergeant
George A. Simpson
Killed at Antietam

125th
Pennsylvania
Volunteer
Infantry

1st Brigade 1st Division
12th Corps

Recruited in Blair
Huntingdon and Cambria
Counties, Penna.

From the left side of the monument:

Moved at early dawn from bivouac
on farm of George Line to East Woods
near point where Gen. J. K. F. Mansfield
was mortally wounded, from there to
support Monroe’s First Rhode Island
Battery on Smoketown Road, then to
woods that stood here September 17
1862, was the first Union Regiment
therein. Being far advanced and without
sufficient support, it was outflanked by
the enemy and retired behind batteries
in field in rear and subsequently
saved the guns of Monroe’s Battery
from capture. Remained in line until
close of battle. Monument is near
the left of its main line of battle.

Loss at Antietam
Killed and died of wounds 54
Seriously wounded 91
Slightly wounded and not reported 84
(total) 229

Sign for the 125th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment at Antietam

From the sign next to the monument:

125th Penna.

While forming the extreme left
front as Sedgwick’s Division was
being shot down in the West Woods,
the 125th Penna. Inf. Regt. was at
times only 50 yards from Confederate
Infantry. Of the regiment’s
54 killed and 91 wounded, most
were lost here in the field in
front of you. 9 to 9:20 a.m.

See more on the history of the 125th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War